Current status of R&D Projects undertaken by TRIFED
Projects Successfully Completed
- Development of Integrated post – harvest technology for production of quality minor forest produces by Institution of Minerals & Materials Technology (IMMT), Bhubaneswar - The research study resulted in development of low cost hybrid dryer that can be useful for enhance the shelf life of Minor forest produces and can be utilized by the tribals.
- Production of Nutra beverages from Mahuwa flower by JUIT, Solan (Jointly with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)): A blended Mahuwa Guava wine has been developed which has enhanced flavor and antioxidant property. Further action regarding validation, patenting and market trial of developed products is under consideration.
- Preparation of Health Products from Bael Fruit: Evaluation of Antiulcer, Anti-diabetic and Anticancer potentials by CFTRI, Mysore: The project has been completed and Bael juice fruit has been test marketed which received an encouraging response. Modalities of including the product into our product line are being finalized.
- Preparation of Industrially important Oleo-chemicals from Sal fat, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology by Hyderabad. The research study resulted in development of hydrogenation of Sal Oil. By the hydrogenation process Sal oil can be converted into Sal wax. Which can be further used for preparation of Sal wax based Biocandles and other products. Market trial of the developed biocandle was done and response was found positive.
Ongoing R&D Projects on value addition of Minor Forest Produces:
- Nutraceutical and Cosmaceutical from Tamarind seeds, Sal seeds oil and Karanj oil using low cost technology by BIT, Mesra – Preformulation study of Karanj oil has done on the basis of study the karanj oil can be used as an ingredient for formulation of cosmaceutucals products. Isolation and purification of xyloglucan found in tamarind seeds which can be further use for preparation of jelly are under process.
Completed projects requiring financial support for validation/ commercialization of Research findings:
Some of the earlier R&D study / Research have resulted in development of innovative products and processes. However, validation of the research study is needed on a large-scale before introduction in the market. TRIFED is exploring the possibility of financial support from other agencies to conduct validation of the following projects:
- Exploration of Sal Seed oil cake as source of Organic manure, biopesticides and nitrification inhibitor. The research resulted in development of Sal manure and application of same resulted in higher productivity of crops. The validation study of the result need to be done before the commercialization of Sal manure.
- Process Development for Isolation of Starch and Tannin from Sal cake (by BESTU, Howrah): The project has resulted in development of isolation/ extraction process of tannin, protein and soluble carbohydrate from Sal DOC. Isolated Tannin, Starch & Protein can be utilized in many industry sectors.