Following are the main objectives for undertaking Research project on Non Timber Forest Produces (NTFPs) by TRIFED:
- Research and development of an innovative low cost process/ technology for optimum utilization of the available NTFPs so that Tribals get direct benefit.
- Development of tools, implements, methodologies, processes etc. which result in increased harvesting and collection of Non Timber Forest Produce (NTFPs) on a sustainable basis, which result in reducing drudgery & waste, increasing efficiency etc of the tribals.
- Development of appropriate technologies for post harvest management of NTFPs concerning sorting, grading, cleaning, dusting, scientific storage, preliminary primary level processing for increasing shelf life /value addition , reducing wastage etc.
- Sustainable harvesting techniques to ensure long term survival of forests
- Enhance income through value addition of the NTFPs
TRIFED sponsors R&D projects through various reputed institutions like IITs. IICT, Hyderabad, CFTRI, Mysore, Universities etc to find out new & innovative product(s)/ process(s) development so that it can enhance the value of Minor forest produce and livelihood of tribals. During the last few years TRIFED has sponsored 10 R&D Projects which are under various stages of its completion & commercialization.